Your HLAA-LA chapter is looking for a few good people to stand for our September 22 steering committee election. Are you one of them?
As a steering committee member, you’ll be part of the team that shapes chapter meetings, parties and other activities.
To serve on the steering committee, you need to meet these requirements.
· Be a paid member of HLAA National
· Have attended a minimum of six chapter meetings
· Participate in 5-10 hours per month of online SC communication
· Know or willing to learn Slack and Confluence online programs for SC communications
· Have a valid email address
· Respond to written SC communications within 24 hours
· Attend all SC meetings (on average, following every other chapter meeting)
Yes, this is a comprehensive list. But serving on the steering committee gives you the satisfaction of doing something worthwhile for yourself and your hearing loss community!
If you are interested, or have questions, please send an email to email@example.com and a steering committee member will respond.
If you or someone you know is planning to purchase new hearing aids anytime in the future, our September meeting is for you! When you know what to expect, you are in a better position to make the right choices. This presentation will help you to maximize your success and outcome in selecting the best devices and features for you.
Our speaker is hearing loss advocate and HLAA-California Trustee Toni Barrient, who has held numerous positions with the State and National organizations. Toni will provide expert tips and guide attendees through the entire process of purchasing hearing aids, including what to look for and what to avoid, when shopping for your ears.
A valuable consumer checklist will be provided as a handout, so you know what to expect at every step, from making the appointment with your hearing aid provider to services, warranties, trial periods, and much more.
As a tie-in, CBS Sunday Morning has prepared a segment on the same topic, which will air at a later date. In the meantime, some good information is here https://www.cbsnews.com/news/guide-to-hearing-aids/
We’ll also have elections for the full steering committee. More details to follow shortly.
Please join us!
Saturday, September 22, 2018
9:30am, socializing – 10am-noon, meeting
Sherman Oaks Library
14245 Moorpark St, Sherman Oaks 91423
Everything you wanted to know about HLAA-LA events through the end of 2018.
- Tues Sept 11 – HLAA Executive Director Barbara Kelly will meet with local members at the Intercontinental Hotel in downtown L.A. for lunch. Heather, Tim, Diane, Florence and Joyce to attend.
- Fri/Sat Sept 14-15 – CA Audiologist Association (CAA) conference; chapter members will be at the HLAA-CA booth in the afternoons.
- Sat Sept 22 – “The In’s and Out’s of Buying Hearing Aids,” presented by Toni Barrient; steering committee elections
- Sun Sept 23 – 3rd Annual HLAA-CA Tech Fair, 1-4pm, William E Walker Recreation Center, Lagoon Room, 650 Shell Blvd, Foster City
- Sun Sept 23 @ 4pm, Sat Sept 29 @ 8pm – “Othello,” directed by chapter member Malik B. El-Amin; with captions, http://griottheatre.org
- Thru Sun Sept 30 – “Arrival and Departure,” the story of a woman trying to fit between the hearing and deaf worlds, Fountain Theatre.
- Sat Oct 13 – Rap Session at Georgia’s home in Hollywood; details to follow. This is in lieu of the Oct 27 regular meeting, as the library isn’t available.
- Thur Oct 25 – HLAA-LA participates in Northrup-Grumann employee disAbility Awareness Fair; Diane and Shahrazd to represent.
- Sat Nov 3 – our annual “Coping with the Holidays” chapter meeting (date change due to library schedule).
- Sat Dec 8 – holiday party at Grace’s home in Pasadena; details coming.
The 2018 Featured Chapter Website!
The Chapter received notoriety in the July/August edition of the Hearing Life magazine published by HLAA. The Chapter and its website is featured in the “Adapt and Change—Strategies
and Tactics for Attracting New
Members to Your Chapter” article by Katy Kucsek.
» Read more
It’s all about aural rehabilitation at our August 25 chapter meeting.
Helen Tinsman, a Speech Language Pathologist and Consumer Specialist with Advanced Bionics will discuss what you can do to adjust to your hearing aids and cochlear implants. Don’t miss this, no matter what hearing technology you now use!
Helen’s presentation will cover
~Factors that have an impact on outcomes with a cochlear implant
~What aural rehab / listening practice is and why it’s recommended
~High tech (computer / app) based programs for listening practice
~Low tech (non-computer / tech) based programs for listening practice
~Accessories that can be used to assist with listening practice in challenging situations
Chapter business items will include CAA conference volunteers (Sept 14-15), Steering Committee elections (Sept 22 meeting) and more.
We meet at 9:30am for socializing; the general meeting goes from 10am-noon. Remember to bring some snacks to share! Sherman Oaks Library Community Room, 14245 Moorpark St, Sherman Oaks.
Rehabilitation – What should you be doing? as shared by Heather.
Recapping the National Convention from Minneapolis ~
Meeting transcript can be found here.
HLAA-LA was one of the largest groups in attendance.
At the awards ceremony, Lisa Yuan received the Spirit of HLAA, a top honor. Tim Browning accepted for the best chapter website (and was asked to make websites for other chapters!)
Today’s meeting covered a taste of information gathered at workshops.
» Read more
Hi-ho, hi-ho, it’s off to the July HLAA-LA meeting we go!
Join us for this informational meeting, where attendees at last month’s national convention in Minneapolis will share their experiences. Heather, Tim, Jen and Teri will each discuss a pair of topics, from healthcare, to advocacy to tech apps and more.
After the break – don’t forget to feed the kitty jar! – we’ll get introductions from first time attendees, WOW Awards, a call for volunteers at the upcoming CAA convention, and an overview of our calendar of events for the rest of 2018.
As always, consider bringing a snack to share. And if the heat is making your brain a bit fuzzy, check out the ‘chapter meetings’ tab here for the address and parking instructions.
Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday!
Every meeting is always a great time!
We were a small but chatty group for Saturday’s rap session. This session covered travel, technology, fundraising, movie & TV captions, how HLAA has helped – and more. We agreed that any one of these topics would be good to cover as a future meeting topic.
Click here for the meeting transcript.
» Read more
Our annual Independence Day celebration is coming up sooner than we think! Nine days from now we’ll be breaking out the BBQ, potluck and a little swimming under the enormous tree in Kat & Danny’s backyard in Montrose. Time is from noon to 4pm.
Burgers, hot dogs and fixings will be provided by the chapter. Feel free to bring something else to be grilled, such as veggie or turkey burgers.
So far, the potluck list is looking delicious! Send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org to add your RSVP and potluck dish. The address will be provided to all who are coming.
At this writing we have: spiked tea, guac & chips, Danny’s favorite chicken wings, apple slaw, pasta salad, cookies, cherries, beverages.
C’mon and join the fun!