The HLAA logo flying high!
By Heather Lehr
This is what I learned at the recent HLAA-Los Angeles rap session: you are all a bunch of badasses.
But let me start from the beginning.
First of all, we met at Georgia’s gorgeous flat with a shining chandelier and deep Queen Anne wingback chairs. Delightful! Then Puay, of course, brought her addictive dark chocolate almond biscotti and Wendy shared her knock-you-over potato salad. It left me wondering why we call it a rap session instead of a bust-your-diet session.
» Read more
Reminder: There’s no regular chapter meeting on October 27.
Join us the following Saturday, November 3 for our annual “Coping with the Holidays” rap session and “Potluck Thanksgiving Feast.” We have skits to illustrate the former and some yummy treats lined up for the latter. The more the merrier! Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org with the dish you’re bringing, so we can fill in any gaps for our buffet. So far, we have green salads, wild rice stuffing, homemade bread & veggies, spinach “quiche,” bagels, sweet potatoes and a dessert.
9:30am – setup and social; 10am-noon – meeting
Sherman Oaks Branch Library
14245 Moorpark Street, Sherman Oaks
This is our last regular chapter meeting in 2018. Details about our Holiday Party on December 8 are coming soon.
As 2018 winds down, it means one thing for our chapter.
October – The rap session on the 13th is a full house; thanks to Georgia for hosting. Remember that this takes the place of our regular meeting. If you show up at the library on the 27th, be prepared to be part of the kids Halloween party.
November 3rd – We’ll have our annual “Coping with the Holidays” chapter meeting, 10am-noon (come as early as 9:30) at the library, featuring some skits put together by Sandy Blake and input from all. Then, we’ll start the partying with a potluck lunch. Please bring a dish that can be shared by 8-10 people. RSVP with a hint of your food item to Jen, email@example.com
December 8th – We’ll close out the year with our fantabulous evening holiday party, once again hosted by The Amazing Grace Tiessen at her beautiful home in Pasadena. Your Steering Committee will provide a catered meal. And, what would be our holiday party without a white elephant gift exchange? Stay tuned for further details!
Toni starting her great presentation about “Ins and Outs” about buying hearing aids
Long-time HLAA member Toni Barrient led us through “The Consumer’s Guide to Purchasing Hearing Aids.” The items she covered can also be applied to finding the best cochlear implant provider. Her talk was based on HLAA’s Consumer Checklist, which can be downloaded from https://www.hearingloss.org/wp-content/uploads/HLAA_Purchasing_HearingAid_Checklist.pdf?pdf=Checklist
Chapter meeting transcript is here.
» Read more
Liz discussing the Hearing Loss Californian special edition.
This is a summary of our August 25 chapter meeting, covering the guest presentation and chapter business. Click here to view meeting transcript..
Aural Rehabilitation was the topic of the day, presented by Helen Tinsman, a speech therapist who works for Advanced Bionics (AB). She can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
» Read more
Your HLAA-LA chapter is looking for a few good people to stand for our September 22 steering committee election. Are you one of them?
As a steering committee member, you’ll be part of the team that shapes chapter meetings, parties and other activities.
To serve on the steering committee, you need to meet these requirements.
· Be a paid member of HLAA National
· Have attended a minimum of six chapter meetings
· Participate in 5-10 hours per month of online SC communication
· Know or willing to learn Slack and Confluence online programs for SC communications
· Have a valid email address
· Respond to written SC communications within 24 hours
· Attend all SC meetings (on average, following every other chapter meeting)
Yes, this is a comprehensive list. But serving on the steering committee gives you the satisfaction of doing something worthwhile for yourself and your hearing loss community!
If you are interested, or have questions, please send an email to email@example.com and a steering committee member will respond.
If you or someone you know is planning to purchase new hearing aids anytime in the future, our September meeting is for you! When you know what to expect, you are in a better position to make the right choices. This presentation will help you to maximize your success and outcome in selecting the best devices and features for you.
Our speaker is hearing loss advocate and HLAA-California Trustee Toni Barrient, who has held numerous positions with the State and National organizations. Toni will provide expert tips and guide attendees through the entire process of purchasing hearing aids, including what to look for and what to avoid, when shopping for your ears.
A valuable consumer checklist will be provided as a handout, so you know what to expect at every step, from making the appointment with your hearing aid provider to services, warranties, trial periods, and much more.
As a tie-in, CBS Sunday Morning has prepared a segment on the same topic, which will air at a later date. In the meantime, some good information is here https://www.cbsnews.com/news/guide-to-hearing-aids/
We’ll also have elections for the full steering committee. More details to follow shortly.
Please join us!
Saturday, September 22, 2018
9:30am, socializing – 10am-noon, meeting
Sherman Oaks Library
14245 Moorpark St, Sherman Oaks 91423
Everything you wanted to know about HLAA-LA events through the end of 2018.
- Tues Sept 11 – HLAA Executive Director Barbara Kelly will meet with local members at the Intercontinental Hotel in downtown L.A. for lunch. Heather, Tim, Diane, Florence and Joyce to attend.
- Fri/Sat Sept 14-15 – CA Audiologist Association (CAA) conference; chapter members will be at the HLAA-CA booth in the afternoons.
- Sat Sept 22 – “The In’s and Out’s of Buying Hearing Aids,” presented by Toni Barrient; steering committee elections
- Sun Sept 23 – 3rd Annual HLAA-CA Tech Fair, 1-4pm, William E Walker Recreation Center, Lagoon Room, 650 Shell Blvd, Foster City
- Sun Sept 23 @ 4pm, Sat Sept 29 @ 8pm – “Othello,” directed by chapter member Malik B. El-Amin; with captions, http://griottheatre.org
- Thru Sun Sept 30 – “Arrival and Departure,” the story of a woman trying to fit between the hearing and deaf worlds, Fountain Theatre.
- Sat Oct 13 – Rap Session at Georgia’s home in Hollywood; details to follow. This is in lieu of the Oct 27 regular meeting, as the library isn’t available.
- Thur Oct 25 – HLAA-LA participates in Northrup-Grumann employee disAbility Awareness Fair; Diane and Shahrazd to represent.
- Sat Nov 3 – our annual “Coping with the Holidays” chapter meeting (date change due to library schedule).
- Sat Dec 8 – holiday party at Grace’s home in Pasadena; details coming.
It’s all about aural rehabilitation at our August 25 chapter meeting.
Helen Tinsman, a Speech Language Pathologist and Consumer Specialist with Advanced Bionics will discuss what you can do to adjust to your hearing aids and cochlear implants. Don’t miss this, no matter what hearing technology you now use!
Helen’s presentation will cover
~Factors that have an impact on outcomes with a cochlear implant
~What aural rehab / listening practice is and why it’s recommended
~High tech (computer / app) based programs for listening practice
~Low tech (non-computer / tech) based programs for listening practice
~Accessories that can be used to assist with listening practice in challenging situations
Chapter business items will include CAA conference volunteers (Sept 14-15), Steering Committee elections (Sept 22 meeting) and more.
We meet at 9:30am for socializing; the general meeting goes from 10am-noon. Remember to bring some snacks to share! Sherman Oaks Library Community Room, 14245 Moorpark St, Sherman Oaks.
Rehabilitation – What should you be doing? as shared by Heather.
Recapping the National Convention from Minneapolis ~
Meeting transcript can be found here.
HLAA-LA was one of the largest groups in attendance.
At the awards ceremony, Lisa Yuan received the Spirit of HLAA, a top honor. Tim Browning accepted for the best chapter website (and was asked to make websites for other chapters!)
Today’s meeting covered a taste of information gathered at workshops.
» Read more