On March 27th, the HLAA – Los Angeles Chapter hosted “New Developments in Treating Hearing Loss: Digital Therapeutics” on Zoom, for its monthly Chapter meeting.
This presentation was led by Dr. Nancy Tye-Murray, Ph.D., who is a professor of otolaryngology-head & neck surgery at Washington University School of Medicine and the CEO and Founder of clEAR and Amptify.
You may view the presentation here.
» Read more
Date: Tuesday, February 23
Time: 2 p.m. ET, 1 p.m. CT, Noon MT, 11 a.m. PT
Speakers: Stu Nunnery and Laurel Jonason
Duration: 60 minutes
Each of us has a story—several really—that goes beyond our hearing loss, our hearing aids and the challenges we face living with them. What‘s your story? Have you used your talents—your writing, your art, your music, your voice—to share your story with others?
» Read more
From Yahoo! Entertainment—Even in a year like no other, with a Sundance Film Festival forced to go virtual and carry a leaner slate following months of production shut-downs that curbed its top-tier indie offerings, there have still been a handful of movies to make a major splash in the movie industry.
» Read more
The Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA) has many recordings covering a wide array of subjects on their website for your review. With the pandemic having a lasting impact on our lives, it’s more important than ever we stay connected and informed. Check out the various recordings below.
The first HLAA Spanish Webinar is available for playback along with our other recordings shown below:
Did you know demands from all walks of individuals is growing for captioning. In fact, 80% of individuals use captioning that do not have hearing loss!
With people watching videos on the go using their phones, oftentimes audio isn’t possible so captioning saves the day. It’s safe to say captioning is going mainstream which is great for all of us hard of hearing folks! Check out further information from this article.
In an interesting development that may provide a road ahead for more captioning options throughout the U.S., 8th U.S. Court of Appeals in St. Louis voted 2 to 1 in favor that Fox Theatre must provide captions whenever a patron asks. This is not just for one matinee performance per Broadway run which is commonly offered by theatres that say they offer captioning services.
Please see this article for further information and some background on how this all developed!
As 2018 winds down, it means one thing for our chapter.
October – The rap session on the 13th is a full house; thanks to Georgia for hosting. Remember that this takes the place of our regular meeting. If you show up at the library on the 27th, be prepared to be part of the kids Halloween party.
November 3rd – We’ll have our annual “Coping with the Holidays” chapter meeting, 10am-noon (come as early as 9:30) at the library, featuring some skits put together by Sandy Blake and input from all. Then, we’ll start the partying with a potluck lunch. Please bring a dish that can be shared by 8-10 people. RSVP with a hint of your food item to Jen, firstname.lastname@example.org
December 8th – We’ll close out the year with our fantabulous evening holiday party, once again hosted by The Amazing Grace Tiessen at her beautiful home in Pasadena. Your Steering Committee will provide a catered meal. And, what would be our holiday party without a white elephant gift exchange? Stay tuned for further details!
Everything you wanted to know about HLAA-LA events through the end of 2018.
- Tues Sept 11 – HLAA Executive Director Barbara Kelly will meet with local members at the Intercontinental Hotel in downtown L.A. for lunch. Heather, Tim, Diane, Florence and Joyce to attend.
- Fri/Sat Sept 14-15 – CA Audiologist Association (CAA) conference; chapter members will be at the HLAA-CA booth in the afternoons.
- Sat Sept 22 – “The In’s and Out’s of Buying Hearing Aids,” presented by Toni Barrient; steering committee elections
- Sun Sept 23 – 3rd Annual HLAA-CA Tech Fair, 1-4pm, William E Walker Recreation Center, Lagoon Room, 650 Shell Blvd, Foster City
- Sun Sept 23 @ 4pm, Sat Sept 29 @ 8pm – “Othello,” directed by chapter member Malik B. El-Amin; with captions, http://griottheatre.org
- Thru Sun Sept 30 – “Arrival and Departure,” the story of a woman trying to fit between the hearing and deaf worlds, Fountain Theatre.
- Sat Oct 13 – Rap Session at Georgia’s home in Hollywood; details to follow. This is in lieu of the Oct 27 regular meeting, as the library isn’t available.
- Thur Oct 25 – HLAA-LA participates in Northrup-Grumann employee disAbility Awareness Fair; Diane and Shahrazd to represent.
- Sat Nov 3 – our annual “Coping with the Holidays” chapter meeting (date change due to library schedule).
- Sat Dec 8 – holiday party at Grace’s home in Pasadena; details coming.