As 2018 winds down, it means one thing for our chapter.
October – The rap session on the 13th is a full house; thanks to Georgia for hosting. Remember that this takes the place of our regular meeting. If you show up at the library on the 27th, be prepared to be part of the kids Halloween party.
November 3rd – We’ll have our annual “Coping with the Holidays” chapter meeting, 10am-noon (come as early as 9:30) at the library, featuring some skits put together by Sandy Blake and input from all. Then, we’ll start the partying with a potluck lunch. Please bring a dish that can be shared by 8-10 people. RSVP with a hint of your food item to Jen, email@example.com
December 8th – We’ll close out the year with our fantabulous evening holiday party, once again hosted by The Amazing Grace Tiessen at her beautiful home in Pasadena. Your Steering Committee will provide a catered meal. And, what would be our holiday party without a white elephant gift exchange? Stay tuned for further details!
Everything you wanted to know about HLAA-LA events through the end of 2018.
- Tues Sept 11 – HLAA Executive Director Barbara Kelly will meet with local members at the Intercontinental Hotel in downtown L.A. for lunch. Heather, Tim, Diane, Florence and Joyce to attend.
- Fri/Sat Sept 14-15 – CA Audiologist Association (CAA) conference; chapter members will be at the HLAA-CA booth in the afternoons.
- Sat Sept 22 – “The In’s and Out’s of Buying Hearing Aids,” presented by Toni Barrient; steering committee elections
- Sun Sept 23 – 3rd Annual HLAA-CA Tech Fair, 1-4pm, William E Walker Recreation Center, Lagoon Room, 650 Shell Blvd, Foster City
- Sun Sept 23 @ 4pm, Sat Sept 29 @ 8pm – “Othello,” directed by chapter member Malik B. El-Amin; with captions, http://griottheatre.org
- Thru Sun Sept 30 – “Arrival and Departure,” the story of a woman trying to fit between the hearing and deaf worlds, Fountain Theatre.
- Sat Oct 13 – Rap Session at Georgia’s home in Hollywood; details to follow. This is in lieu of the Oct 27 regular meeting, as the library isn’t available.
- Thur Oct 25 – HLAA-LA participates in Northrup-Grumann employee disAbility Awareness Fair; Diane and Shahrazd to represent.
- Sat Nov 3 – our annual “Coping with the Holidays” chapter meeting (date change due to library schedule).
- Sat Dec 8 – holiday party at Grace’s home in Pasadena; details coming.
If you enjoy movies, and who doesn’t, then you’ll be happy to see the news that movie theaters showing digital movies must provide means for delivering closed captioning and audio description. The Department of Justice issued final rules for this back in November 2016 with supplemental revisions since. As of June 2, movie theaters must abide by these rules under the American with Disabilities Act.
So get out to the movies (and make sure it’s digital)!
You may see the full article on the HLAA National site here.
Arrival & Departure, a new play based on the 1945 film “Brief Encounter,” opens July 14 at the Fountain Theater in Hollywood. It stars married deaf actors Deanne Bray (Sue Thomas: F.B.Eye) and Troy Kotsur.
All performances are open-captioned!
Arrival & Departure runs July 14 through September 30, with performances on Fridays and Saturdays at 8pm; Sundays at 2pm; and Mondays at 8pm (dark July 16, August 4 and 27, and September 3). Three preview performances take place on Wednesday, July 11; Thursday, July 12; and Friday, July 13, all at 8pm. Tickets range from $20-$40; Pay-What-You-Want seating is available every Monday night in addition to regular seating (subject to availability).
» Read more
Captions at Hollywood Bowl. Photo by Nancy Mullen Gray
Have you ever wanted to enjoy a night of music under the stars at one of L.A.’s favorite landmarks, but thought your hearing loss would make it impossible? Never fear; open-captions are available upon request for every show at the Hollywood Bowl! And the seats are great, too. Read on for a primer about how to enjoy a night on the town.
» Read more
It’s showtime at the Griot Theatre! The Archer from Malis, an adaption from Philoctetes by Sophocles will appear this weekend at the Getty Villa (April 15-17) – all shows captioned and looped, with Saturday, April 16 at 3pm ASL interpreted; then run for 4 weeks at the Lounge Theatres in Hollywood (April 29-May22) May 1 and May 14 captioned.
Please follow the link below (or copy and paste) for details:
-Malik B. El-Amin, Artistic Director and Co-Founder