Our very own Executive Director for HLAA, Barbara Kelley, took time while in Los Angeles to visit with Heather, Florence and Tim. Truly a pleasure to spend time with to collaborate on a variety of concerns and topics. It was also great to raise more awareness about our chapter and all that we do with Barbara. There’s an exciting and great future ahead for our hard of hearing community from all walks of life. Thank you Barbara!
This is a summary of our August 25 chapter meeting, covering the guest presentation and chapter business. Click here to view meeting transcript..
Aural Rehabilitation was the topic of the day, presented by Helen Tinsman, a speech therapist who works for Advanced Bionics (AB). She can be reached by email at email@example.com
Everything you wanted to know about HLAA-LA events through the end of 2018.
- Tues Sept 11 – HLAA Executive Director Barbara Kelly will meet with local members at the Intercontinental Hotel in downtown L.A. for lunch. Heather, Tim, Diane, Florence and Joyce to attend.
- Fri/Sat Sept 14-15 – CA Audiologist Association (CAA) conference; chapter members will be at the HLAA-CA booth in the afternoons.
- Sat Sept 22 – “The In’s and Out’s of Buying Hearing Aids,” presented by Toni Barrient; steering committee elections
- Sun Sept 23 – 3rd Annual HLAA-CA Tech Fair, 1-4pm, William E Walker Recreation Center, Lagoon Room, 650 Shell Blvd, Foster City
- Sun Sept 23 @ 4pm, Sat Sept 29 @ 8pm – “Othello,” directed by chapter member Malik B. El-Amin; with captions, http://griottheatre.org
- Thru Sun Sept 30 – “Arrival and Departure,” the story of a woman trying to fit between the hearing and deaf worlds, Fountain Theatre.
- Sat Oct 13 – Rap Session at Georgia’s home in Hollywood; details to follow. This is in lieu of the Oct 27 regular meeting, as the library isn’t available.
- Thur Oct 25 – HLAA-LA participates in Northrup-Grumann employee disAbility Awareness Fair; Diane and Shahrazd to represent.
- Sat Nov 3 – our annual “Coping with the Holidays” chapter meeting (date change due to library schedule).
- Sat Dec 8 – holiday party at Grace’s home in Pasadena; details coming.
The HLAA-LA chapter’s Memorial Day weekend gathering on May 26th exceeded everyone’s expectations!
Nearly 30 members and their guests—including some we haven’t seen in quite a while—converged on president Heather Lehr’s beautiful home in San Marino to enjoy a lovely afternoon of food, fun and friendship. Seems like people enjoyed socializing so much, that all other planned activities and announcements went by the wayside, and three hours passed in the blink of an eye.
The Hearing Loss Association of America has just launched a brand new website. The site works on any device (mobile, tablet or PC) and has fresh and intuitive layout to help you find what you are looking for more easily and effectively. The site also serves those with low vision and the ability to translate text into more than 100 languages!
Please visit hearingloss.org to explore and see just how the improve design, layout and content will help you better meet your hearing needs!
For One Week Only…
Surprise! Register between TODAY, Friday, May 4 and Friday, May 11 to receive discounted registration rates to the HLAA2018 Convention. Yup, you read that right! You still have a chance to attend the most communication-accessible event in a gorgeous city at a discounted rate – take advantage while you can!
Hearing loss is not an uncommon challenge many people face, but how they handle it is another challenge in itself. No one should ever face some of the consequences of losing one’s hearing. This includes depression, avoiding meaningful social connections and feelings of helplessness.
Dear Abby publicly noted in her column addressing an individual struggling with hearing loss how the Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA) and associated state chapters can provide immediate support and help. The HLAA Los Angeles Chapter has provided this source of support, education and information for over 14 years and we want to continue to expand our outreach to those in need. Learn more via the HLAA National website how HLAA and chapters can help. Abby recommends it!
Notes from HLAA-LA Feb 24, 2018 Chapter Meeting
WOW awards to Teri Brier, for arranging the March guest speaker (Gary Dorf of Oticon, who will discuss cognition and hearing loss) and Tim Browning, for winning National’s “Best Chapter Website” award (to be presented at the convention)
Walk4Hearing coming up on June 9; more details to follow, including volunteer opportunities. One is a carpool organizer to get to Long Beach.
Save the ADA! HLAA Opposes Misguided, Damaging H.R. 620
The House of Representatives will vote this week on H.R.620.
We need your help to stop it!
Hearing Loss Association of America is opposed to the passage of H.R.620.
Big business is trying to bamboozle the House and the American public into supporting an unnecessary law misleadingly titled the “ADA Education and Reform Act of 2017” (H.R.620) that would make it even harder for people with disabilities who have been waiting to listen to the same programs, use the same restrooms, shop at the same department stores, and eat at the same restaurants as our non-disabled friends and family members, for almost 30 years!