The spirit of the season was in full swing at our annual holiday party, honoring HLAA-LA members and supporters. The large turnout gave us a chance to catch up with old and new friends by socializing and sharing advice about finding our happy place in the sometimes daunting world of hearing loss.
On Saturday, November 3, HLAA–Los Angeles held a dynamic, interactive meeting that included our annual discussion topic, “Coping With The Holidays with Hearing Loss,” followed by an abundant Thanksgiving potluck with many sweet and savory treats. We shared our holiday frustrations and coping strategies, then got down to the serious business of eating all that food!
By Heather Lehr
This is what I learned at the recent HLAA-Los Angeles rap session: you are all a bunch of badasses.
But let me start from the beginning.
First of all, we met at Georgia’s gorgeous flat with a shining chandelier and deep Queen Anne wingback chairs. Delightful! Then Puay, of course, brought her addictive dark chocolate almond biscotti and Wendy shared her knock-you-over potato salad. It left me wondering why we call it a rap session instead of a bust-your-diet session.
Reminder: There’s no regular chapter meeting on October 27.
Join us the following Saturday, November 3 for our annual “Coping with the Holidays” rap session and “Potluck Thanksgiving Feast.” We have skits to illustrate the former and some yummy treats lined up for the latter. The more the merrier! Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org with the dish you’re bringing, so we can fill in any gaps for our buffet. So far, we have green salads, wild rice stuffing, homemade bread & veggies, spinach “quiche,” bagels, sweet potatoes and a dessert.
9:30am – setup and social; 10am-noon – meeting
Sherman Oaks Branch Library
14245 Moorpark Street, Sherman Oaks
This is our last regular chapter meeting in 2018. Details about our Holiday Party on December 8 are coming soon.
As 2018 winds down, it means one thing for our chapter.
October – The rap session on the 13th is a full house; thanks to Georgia for hosting. Remember that this takes the place of our regular meeting. If you show up at the library on the 27th, be prepared to be part of the kids Halloween party.
November 3rd – We’ll have our annual “Coping with the Holidays” chapter meeting, 10am-noon (come as early as 9:30) at the library, featuring some skits put together by Sandy Blake and input from all. Then, we’ll start the partying with a potluck lunch. Please bring a dish that can be shared by 8-10 people. RSVP with a hint of your food item to Jen, email@example.com
December 8th – We’ll close out the year with our fantabulous evening holiday party, once again hosted by The Amazing Grace Tiessen at her beautiful home in Pasadena. Your Steering Committee will provide a catered meal. And, what would be our holiday party without a white elephant gift exchange? Stay tuned for further details!
This is a summary of our August 25 chapter meeting, covering the guest presentation and chapter business. Click here to view meeting transcript..
Aural Rehabilitation was the topic of the day, presented by Helen Tinsman, a speech therapist who works for Advanced Bionics (AB). She can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Everything you wanted to know about HLAA-LA events through the end of 2018.
- Tues Sept 11 – HLAA Executive Director Barbara Kelly will meet with local members at the Intercontinental Hotel in downtown L.A. for lunch. Heather, Tim, Diane, Florence and Joyce to attend.
- Fri/Sat Sept 14-15 – CA Audiologist Association (CAA) conference; chapter members will be at the HLAA-CA booth in the afternoons.
- Sat Sept 22 – “The In’s and Out’s of Buying Hearing Aids,” presented by Toni Barrient; steering committee elections
- Sun Sept 23 – 3rd Annual HLAA-CA Tech Fair, 1-4pm, William E Walker Recreation Center, Lagoon Room, 650 Shell Blvd, Foster City
- Sun Sept 23 @ 4pm, Sat Sept 29 @ 8pm – “Othello,” directed by chapter member Malik B. El-Amin; with captions, http://griottheatre.org
- Thru Sun Sept 30 – “Arrival and Departure,” the story of a woman trying to fit between the hearing and deaf worlds, Fountain Theatre.
- Sat Oct 13 – Rap Session at Georgia’s home in Hollywood; details to follow. This is in lieu of the Oct 27 regular meeting, as the library isn’t available.
- Thur Oct 25 – HLAA-LA participates in Northrup-Grumann employee disAbility Awareness Fair; Diane and Shahrazd to represent.
- Sat Nov 3 – our annual “Coping with the Holidays” chapter meeting (date change due to library schedule).
- Sat Dec 8 – holiday party at Grace’s home in Pasadena; details coming.
Your Steering Committee has filled the chapter calendar for the rest of 2018 with a mix of activities. Here’s the scoop.
Next up, at our July 28 chapter meeting, Heather, Tim, Jenna and Teri will share an overview of what they saw, learned and did at the national convention last month. Among the topics are apps for your devices, disability rights, auditory training & preservation, healthcare, and more. (There’s so much to share that apps and auditory training will be coveredin detail at future meetings!)
August 25 – “It’s a Brain Thing” presentation by Advanced Bionics
September 14 & 15 – volunteers needed to work the HLAA-CA booth at the California Audiologists Association (CAA) convention at the Anaheim Hilton; details to follow
September 22 – “The In’s and Outs of Buying Hearing Aids” presented by Toni Barrient; steering committee elections
(NOTE: Due to library events, we’ve had to adjust our activity schedule for the rest of the year)
October – Chapter social outing; to be determined
November 3 – “Coping With the Holidays”
December – Holiday Party; to be determined
(From Tim, our Web Dude)
We had a great turnout for our annual HLAA-LA July 4th party. Good friends, plenty of food, nice weather, a pool and a big California Oak all to make the fun in the sun a day to remember! The turnout was great, great enough that I didn’t have a chance to meet everyone. I can especially attest to this after looking at the photo gallery below and seeing so many folks I missed!