As 2018 winds down, it means one thing for our chapter.
October – The rap session on the 13th is a full house; thanks to Georgia for hosting. Remember that this takes the place of our regular meeting. If you show up at the library on the 27th, be prepared to be part of the kids Halloween party.
November 3rd – We’ll have our annual “Coping with the Holidays” chapter meeting, 10am-noon (come as early as 9:30) at the library, featuring some skits put together by Sandy Blake and input from all. Then, we’ll start the partying with a potluck lunch. Please bring a dish that can be shared by 8-10 people. RSVP with a hint of your food item to Jen, firstname.lastname@example.org
December 8th – We’ll close out the year with our fantabulous evening holiday party, once again hosted by The Amazing Grace Tiessen at her beautiful home in Pasadena. Your Steering Committee will provide a catered meal. And, what would be our holiday party without a white elephant gift exchange? Stay tuned for further details!
Liz discussing the Hearing Loss Californian special edition.
This is a summary of our August 25 chapter meeting, covering the guest presentation and chapter business. Click here to view meeting transcript..
Aural Rehabilitation was the topic of the day, presented by Helen Tinsman, a speech therapist who works for Advanced Bionics (AB). She can be reached by email at email@example.com
» Read more
Everything you wanted to know about HLAA-LA events through the end of 2018.
- Tues Sept 11 – HLAA Executive Director Barbara Kelly will meet with local members at the Intercontinental Hotel in downtown L.A. for lunch. Heather, Tim, Diane, Florence and Joyce to attend.
- Fri/Sat Sept 14-15 – CA Audiologist Association (CAA) conference; chapter members will be at the HLAA-CA booth in the afternoons.
- Sat Sept 22 – “The In’s and Out’s of Buying Hearing Aids,” presented by Toni Barrient; steering committee elections
- Sun Sept 23 – 3rd Annual HLAA-CA Tech Fair, 1-4pm, William E Walker Recreation Center, Lagoon Room, 650 Shell Blvd, Foster City
- Sun Sept 23 @ 4pm, Sat Sept 29 @ 8pm – “Othello,” directed by chapter member Malik B. El-Amin; with captions, http://griottheatre.org
- Thru Sun Sept 30 – “Arrival and Departure,” the story of a woman trying to fit between the hearing and deaf worlds, Fountain Theatre.
- Sat Oct 13 – Rap Session at Georgia’s home in Hollywood; details to follow. This is in lieu of the Oct 27 regular meeting, as the library isn’t available.
- Thur Oct 25 – HLAA-LA participates in Northrup-Grumann employee disAbility Awareness Fair; Diane and Shahrazd to represent.
- Sat Nov 3 – our annual “Coping with the Holidays” chapter meeting (date change due to library schedule).
- Sat Dec 8 – holiday party at Grace’s home in Pasadena; details coming.
(From Tim, our Web Dude)
We had a great turnout for our annual HLAA-LA July 4th party. Good friends, plenty of food, nice weather, a pool and a big California Oak all to make the fun in the sun a day to remember! The turnout was great, great enough that I didn’t have a chance to meet everyone. I can especially attest to this after looking at the photo gallery below and seeing so many folks I missed!
» Read more
Our annual Independence Day celebration is coming up sooner than we think! Nine days from now we’ll be breaking out the BBQ, potluck and a little swimming under the enormous tree in Kat & Danny’s backyard in Montrose. Time is from noon to 4pm.
Burgers, hot dogs and fixings will be provided by the chapter. Feel free to bring something else to be grilled, such as veggie or turkey burgers.
So far, the potluck list is looking delicious! Send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org to add your RSVP and potluck dish. The address will be provided to all who are coming.
At this writing we have: spiked tea, guac & chips, Danny’s favorite chicken wings, apple slaw, pasta salad, cookies, cherries, beverages.
C’mon and join the fun!
Arrival & Departure, a new play based on the 1945 film “Brief Encounter,” opens July 14 at the Fountain Theater in Hollywood. It stars married deaf actors Deanne Bray (Sue Thomas: F.B.Eye) and Troy Kotsur.
All performances are open-captioned!
Arrival & Departure runs July 14 through September 30, with performances on Fridays and Saturdays at 8pm; Sundays at 2pm; and Mondays at 8pm (dark July 16, August 4 and 27, and September 3). Three preview performances take place on Wednesday, July 11; Thursday, July 12; and Friday, July 13, all at 8pm. Tickets range from $20-$40; Pay-What-You-Want seating is available every Monday night in addition to regular seating (subject to availability).
» Read more
Captions at Hollywood Bowl. Photo by Nancy Mullen Gray
Have you ever wanted to enjoy a night of music under the stars at one of L.A.’s favorite landmarks, but thought your hearing loss would make it impossible? Never fear; open-captions are available upon request for every show at the Hollywood Bowl! And the seats are great, too. Read on for a primer about how to enjoy a night on the town.
» Read more
Hundreds of Hearing Loss Association supporters gathered at Marina Green Park in Long Beach on Saturday, June 9 for the annual fundraising Walk4Hearing. Our chapter was well represented by members, supporters and volunteers. Many of us took the 5K walk along the strand in the bright sunshine and very warm morning.
» Read more