How to Succeed at the Walk4Hearing
The annual fundraising Long Beach Walk4Hearing is coming up very soon! Here, you can learn how to join our team, the HLAA-LA Stars, and how to succeed in raising funds for our chapter and national organization.
- Saturday, June 9
- Registration 9am
- 5K Walk 10am (following speeches)
Marina Green Park – Harbor Village
386 E Shoreline Dr, Long Beach
Between Shoreline Village Dr & Linden Ave
More General Info:
Long Beach Walk4Hearing home page, http://bit.ly/walkLB
- Raise funds for chapter & national programs, such as HLAA-LA’s college scholarship for hard-of-hearing students
- Create awareness about hearing loss prevention, screening, treatment & maintaining hearing health.
- Hearing screening vans will be on site at the Walk
How to Join the HLAA-LA Stars
- Go to our team’s home page, http://bit.ly/hlaa-laW
- Click the “Join Team” button and follow the steps
Asking for Donations
- Write a brief note about why you’re walking, what HLAA means to you, what it does, and how much you’d like to earn a t-shirt by collecting a minimum of $100 in donations.
- Email note to family & friends. This can be easier to do from your email account than from your personal Walk4Hearing page.
- Put the same message on your Facebook page
- Be sincere.
- Cajole a little – resend message after two weeks.
- Be sure to send a personalized thank you note to your donors!
Sample Fundraising Letter:
Dear friends & family,
I’m writing to request your assistance in raising funds for the annual 5K Walk4Hearing, which supports the good work of the local chapter and national organization of the Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA). The Walk takes place on Saturday, June 9 at Marina Green Park in Long Beach, CA.
Among the reasons I’m raising funds this year: The captain for my crew, the HLAA-LA Stars, the Los Angeles chapter’s Walk4Hearing team, has already raised over $350. My goal is to equal or surpass her.
Over the years, the principles found in HLAA’s mission statement – Information, Advocacy, Support, Education – have helped me in more ways than I can express.
To make a donation, go to (Enter the link for your personal page here), click the Donate button on the right side of the page, and follow the steps. If you’d like to be a part of my team and join me on Walk day, click the Join (name’s) Team button (see the P.S.)
Thank you so very kindly for considering to support me and HLAA!
P.S. If you’re in the area, I’d love to have you join me for the Walk. The route goes past the Queen Mary, harbor, aquarium, lighthouse, and back again. Post-walk, members of my team usually head to Tequila Jack’s restaurant in harbor village, for margaritas and tacos. What could be a better way to end the day?
Three Ways to Donate
- On the HLAA-LA Stars Walk4Hearing page, bit.ly/hlaa-laW or on your personal Walk4Hearing page
- By Check – Payable to Walk4Hearing; write HLAA-LA Stars in memo line
- With Cash – needs to be converted to check
- Funds can be turned in on walk day; be sure to create a tally sheet listing donor name, dollar amount, and your name, team and chapter.
- Talk to people you know.
- Ask favorite neighborhood restaurant if sign can be put in window – add team contact, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Past needs have been registration, giving out t-shirts, hat sales, keeping an eye on raffle & snack booths, hlaa table, set up & take down.
- Other chapters are participating; a list will be sent out close to Walk day.
Sponsors / Raffles
- If you know any companies who might sponsor the Walk or offer raffle prizes, contact Gary at email@example.com